Many great brands are built by trial and error ... but what if you could skip the "error" part and build your brand like the big guys would if they could do it all over again? Data doesn't lie, but building a scaleable (and authentic) brand is both an art and a science. Solve for Y captures both.
Our Solve for Y program reflects comprehensive research, experience, and experimentation that has led to insights such as ...
- There is a proven ratio for how much of growth-oriented marketing should be focused on short-term lead generation vs. long-term branding.
- Companies looking to scale should not have an annual marketing plan.
- CMOs have a notoriously high turnover rate and often cost companies millions, but with better job design and alignment, they can be fantastic facilitators.
Solve for Y is designed for growth-minded business owners with a next-stage vision. Typically, companies who most benefit are "second-stage entrepreneurs," which means (mostly):
- Between 10-100 employees
- Between $1m and $50m in revenue
- Have hit a growth plateau
- Want to scale their business to be less dependent on the owner
At a high level, this is the Solve for Y process. Of course, to get to the real detail, you'll have to contact us. (You didn't think we'd give away all our secrets on our website, did you?)
- Branding workshop for key members of your team
- Customized market and customer research
- Ensuring buy-in and alignment across departments
- Development of creative problem-solving skills for internal team
- Data analysis and findings report
- Brand audit and findings report
- Documented brand guide that provides visual standards, common company language, and customer value proposition
- Brand integration into sales process
- Marketing scorecard development
- 90-day marketing sprint
- Ongoing 90-day marketing sprint development and execution
- Dedicated team, including: brand strategist, creative director, designers, and writers
- Monthly retainer inclusive of creative services, PR/media relations, strategy, and project management
- Media and production budget tracking and analysis
- Scorecard reporting
- Quarterly strategy meetings
And that's the short list.
In addition to the resources below, Six-Point also has relationships with a number of programs, organizations, nonprofits, and consultants who specialize in second stage growth. If you are interested in learning more, please contact us.
CHALLENGES OF SECOND STAGE
The Four Phases of Second Stage (Edward Lowe Foundation)
The Next Business Stage Requires Aggressive Growth (Forbes)
Entrepreneurs Share Their Biggest Challenges in Growing a Business (Inc Magazine)
Transitioning from a Start-Up to a Growth Stage Company (Fortune)
How to Ensure Your Company’s Longevity (Edward Lowe Foundation)
Scaling in Second Stage
Six Steps to Scaling a Business (Forbes)
Why Your Leadership Needs to Change as You Scale (Harvard Business Review)
Three-Legged Growth Strategies for Second Stage Entrepreneurs (Forbes)
From Doing to Managing: The Leadership Shift in a Scale-up (The Telegraph)
Great Businesses Scale their Learning, Not Just Operations (Harvard Business Review)
Life in the Fast Lane: A Road Map for Scaling up your Medium-Sized Business (UK report by Experian and Lloyds Bank)
Multimedia for Second Stagers
Recommended Books for Second Stagers
Why Consumer Brands Must Scale Faster (Harvard Business Review)
What an Entrepreneurship Ecosystem Really Is (Harvard Business Review)
Start Ups Won’t Save the World Economy. But Scale Ups Could. (World Economic Forum)
Full disclosure: We used to do all the traditional things on this list. Then one day, we realized...it's not working. Maybe for a Fortune 500 enterprise, but not for our clients. Not in the real world. Sometimes it pays to admit you were wrong.
Annual marketing plan
A document that is irrelevant within six months
Brand identity package with new logo, colors, and tagline
Wasted resources on change for change’s sake
Long analytics reports on past activity
Data that tells you what happened
Tension between agency and the client company staff
Brand is undermined in day-to-day and customer brand experience is inconsistent and frustrating
|SOLVE FOR Y||OUTCOME|
90-day marketing sprint with prioritized work
Relentless forward progress on key company objectives
Brand audit and brand book
Maximize resources by amplifying what’s already working and problem-solving what doesn’t
Marketing scorecard with leading-indicator metrics
Data that helps you shape the future
Buy-in and cooperation between agency, leadership, operations, and sales
Internal brand pride and a cohesive customer brand experience
How do you know if you are in second stage and ready to scale your branding and marketing with Solve for Y? This ten-question survey will help.
If you’re a Solve for Y candidate, we’ll contact you with more detail about the program. If you aren’t, we’ll connect you with additional resources from our extensive network of entrepreneurial support organizations, or with information about other Six-Point services that might be a better fit.
Either way, you’ll hear from us within one business day.